Skip to content

October 22, 2015

Unexpected Dinner Guests at the Cat Shelter

by Gradmama2011

Here are a couple of guests at dinner one night.  If I told anyone about these no one would believe me, so this time I got some photos to prove it.   The cats, who are the actual residents, were watching from a respectful distance.  The cats don’t object, but the animals do make a mess and knock things over, and slobber in the water dish.   Please note that I DO NOT feed these wild creatures and I  chase them away when I see them.  They are nocturnal, so I make a point of not feeding the cats after dark.   I maintain a respectful distance also, especially when they have babies with them.  Obviously these critters don’t know the rules.

Hey...what are YOU doing here?

Hey…what are YOU doing here?

DSC02934

The baby opossum is supposed to stay in the mother’s pouch, they are marsupials. I only got this one shot, as the Mom apparently told baby to get back in bed. (I am shooting this photo from inside the house, through the glass door…)

DSC02939

Rear view of a young opossum.

It is against city ordinance to feed wild animals, which incudes opossums and raccoons…even deer, as a matter of fact.   Cats, however, are exempted from the ordinance.

16 Comments Post a comment
  1. Oct 22 2015

Ahhhh….Yes! Nature will ‘out’. But then, again, they are animals (critters) as are cats and even humans….. 😉

• Oct 22 2015

I talk a lot, but I really am careful to avoid wild animals. As you say, the populations would soon get out of control.

2. Oct 22 2015

Interesting encounter. Feeling them would encourage more visits in higher numbers. Not sure how safe that would be.

• Oct 22 2015

Its also against the law. We have a big wooded area so all sorts of critters live there. I could not afford to feed them, and also it would be a safety factor having them hang around much. I never try to go out among them.

• Oct 23 2015

I agree with you. I don’t think it’s safe especially on health grounds.

• Oct 23 2015

they might bite ,too, especially if they have babies. here they live in a pretty well contained area, but they do carry disease, or they can. actually I rarely see them, and then usally when it is very cold. it was a huge surprise when these in the photos came out it was winter.

• Oct 23 2015

I can imagine your surprise. I would be very scared to venture near any of them . A bite could mean rabies or all sorts of infection :/ It’s good you are being cautious.

• Oct 23 2015

right, I dont go out when they are out there., in fact the cats keep their distance too.

3. Oct 22 2015

We had the same problem when we had a field next to us. No possums, but two big raccoons. Cute, but they can be vicious little buggers.

• Oct 22 2015

oh yes, raccoons are too cute, but I do take due care around them. They do a lot of damage.

4. Karen S.
    Oct 22 2015

When we fed our outdoor groundskeepers, (kitty-cats) on our deck these little critters always came around too! No more feeding on our deck!

• Oct 22 2015

right. I never put out food after dark, and just what the cats will consume.

5. Oct 22 2015

A very neat experience. Good for you in not feeding them purposely!

• Oct 22 2015

its illegal, but I wouldn’t feed them anyway, they do a lot of damage and they can be dangerous

6. Oct 22 2015

I probably would do the “dumb” thing and entice them to come around for my enjoyment. They are so cute; I’d love to glimpse that baby again.

• Oct 23 2015

We only got one peek at that baby and I just happened to have my camera ready. I don’t know about the opposums, but raccoons can be a big problem!