Skip to content

October 6, 2015

A PERFECT PAST PRESENT for Poetry Class

by Gradmama2011

[Writing201, Poetry.   Today’s assignment involves the word GIFT, and Crostic, and Alliteration.]

A Perfect Past Present

Better a book, than a boat or a bear

Or my childhood dream would be dashed

Only such a gift would

Keep me a happy child.

I would never have wanted clothing

Neither undies nor socks…in a box

A doll or a hat or even a unicorn of bisque would have been taking a terrible risk

of dashing my special specific dream of a gift

But–alas!  There was only one lonely gift left…and that in a box!

OXYDOL SOAP said the  boisterous box, causing my young heart to sink

X-actly!   I  cheered as I peered inside, and shouted — “MY BOOK IN A BOX!”

Read more from Poetry, This and That
19 Comments Post a comment
  1. Oct 6 2015

I like the last line–it made me smile.

2. Oct 6 2015

Well written and I agree. The best gift is always a book.

• Oct 6 2015

absolutely…the first gift for a baby I like to give a book, one they can chew on if they want. 🙂

• Oct 6 2015

I’m glad to say my great-grandkids all love books…maybe they got it from me.

3. Oct 6 2015

Delightful!!

4. Oct 6 2015

Superbly written……The Perfect Present!!!! 😉

• Oct 6 2015

thanks Bushka, this is something new to me, writing poetry that is. I guess I didn’t pay much attention back in school, but I think we didn’t write any poetry just other forms.

• Oct 6 2015

You seem to have a natural gift for crafting images with words…. 😉

• Oct 6 2015

thanks for saying that 🙂

5. Oct 6 2015

They got you good with the decoy :D. Books are definitely the best gifts :).

• Oct 6 2015

indeed they did. it was my mother, in fact. one of these days I want to blog about that book. 🙂

• Oct 6 2015

You should and use the story as a guide.

• Oct 6 2015

a guide? I thought I would write a blog post, and link to the poem.

6. Oct 6 2015

Simply charming! You grabbed me into your experience so easily since I have been along that very same path.

• Oct 6 2015

thanks so much for your kind comments. I have always loved books, and one of my favorite topics. 😃

7. Christina
    Oct 7 2015

I love books as gifts! I try to get my kids at least one book each Christmas, and I try to write a little note on the inside cover. Great poem! I enjoyed it 😊